Wednesday, February 17, 2010

A New Beginning!

We made it, all the way to the other side of the world, Adelaide to be precise!

We have been here 2 weeks now and things are progressing fairly well - my fridge just arrived and I am more than a little bit excited! I mean it is fairly hot here (32 ºC today) and we've been coping for the last few days using ice and a coolbox!

Week 1:
When we first arrived we were put up by Phil (the bf's) new work in a serviced apartment while we looked for somewhere to live. The jetlag hit us pretty hard tho so looking for an apartment in the sweltering heat (about 39ºC) was pretty fraught.

That first week our main aims were:
  • Internet - to help with the search for...
  • Flat
  • Sim Card
  • Bank Account (Phil)
We found two flats and put in two applications - they expect you to jump through some hoops (see below) here tho so we crossed our fingers! Unlike in Britain there seems to be a shortage of apartments, ah well.

Week 2:
Right, upstix to Hostel109 where we stayed for 3 days and which I totally recommend, Malcom is the nicest guy! The morning after our first night there we got a phone call, one of our flat applications was sucessful! This flat comes with both a washer and dryer - this is not usual.

Main aims for week 2:
  • Bank Account (Gem)
  • Medicare Registration
  • Furniture
  • Fridge
So far it's going OK, we have a blow up mattress, table and 4 chairs, a shelving unit and have been lent a computer that is also a TV. I'm feeling pretty good about living here now, I've been loving the Central Markets and have baked bread for the first time ever, I'd put pics up but I can't find the camera cable... tomorrow maybe.

Now I have to find a job.

No comments:

Post a Comment