Monday, March 22, 2010

Crochet Addict

I'm not doing very well at this posting thing am I? It probably helps that there aren't any people reading this anyway!

I have become a bit obsessed by crochet and have made 2 things and started a third in the last week.

Note that in the given patterns the stitches are labelled using the US conventions and since I use the UK/International naming conventions my amendments are given in these.

Dishcloth
Based on this pattern, a present for a friend in the UK. I say based on this since I didn't follow the pattern particularly carefully and found that when I went back to it it didn't quite work so I made up my own. Don't panic if your dishcloth curls at the edges, a bit of blocking should sort that out.

Crocheted in MODA vera bamboo/cotton (70%/30%). I chose this since both bamboo and cotton are natural and bamboo is slightly antibacterial.

Doily
The second is the doily that I said I would make for Vicky (Ferris Wheel Doily). There seem to be a couple of discrepancies between the picture and the pattern - Rnds 5-8:... looking at the picture there are only 2 rounds crocheted in this way so I split the difference and did 3, then carried on with the pattern. The edging seemed a bit long and unattractive to me so instead of ch7, I ch5 then sl st in 3rd st from hook and then ch3 and dc in ch5-sp (you might find that moving the thread around the hook as if you're twisting the stitches stops the point from pointing the wrong way at some points).

Crocheted in DMC BABYLO 3ply crochet thread (100% cotton). This was chosen simply because I couldn't find anything else of the right size! I don't know what difference the bamboo would make here. The doily was a bit "crinkly" when I'd finished and needed ironing and then was fine.

Next on the Agenda
I've decided that I'm going to make a traditional granny square blanket and my own design doilies and see where that takes me.

Oh and I'm not starting my internship until the 6th April so I should have plenty of time to spare...

1 comment: