Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Seeded White Bread

Since moving to Adelaide I've found I have quite a bit time(!), some of that time has been used to hone my bread baking skills, so here is my recipe for a seeded white loaf. It's very simple and the base can be used for rolls, plain loaves and to make it your own just add anything you fancy! I've used sunflower seeds and pumpkin seeds, but you can put any seeds you like. Sometimes I substitute half the white flour for wholemeal flour, as I say, it's up to you!

BASIC INGREDIENTS
500gWhite Bread Flour
1 tspSalt
2tspFast Action Yeast
300ml Warm water (3/4 cold + 1/4 boiling)
2 tbspOlive Oil

Extras: I add in a small handful each of Sunflower and Pumpkin seeds.

Note: Keep the boiling water away from the yeast unless you want to kill it!

METHOD
  1. Mix together a little of the the warm water, sugar and yeast and set to one side (this isn't strictly necessary but I've found that the bread rises better if the yeast is allowed to start before mixing all the ingredients together).
  2. Mix together all dry ingredients in a bowl, sieving the flour.
  3. Add the oil to the dry ingredients and add the water and the yeast mixture.
  4. Knead the dough on a lightly floured surface for approximately 10mins until it is smooth - the seeds disrupt this a little so don't be too worried if it's not looking really smooth.
  5. Cover the bowl with cling film - I use a plastic bowl that has a lid - and leave in a warm place for an hour.
  6. Preheat the oven to 200°C.
  7. Knock the dough back (just knock all the air out of it so it's about it's original size) and knead again for 2-5mins until the dough is smooth, shape into a sausage and put into your lightly greased tin.
  8. Leave to rise for 10 mins or until it's peaking over the edge of the tin. I like to leave my tin on top of the heating oven.
  9. Bake for 20mins until golden brown - I turn my loaf around after 10 mins since my oven has a habit of only cooking on one side.
  10. Turn out of tin and put upside down on the shelf for a further 5-10mins to brown the bottom of the loaf.
  11. Tap the bottom, it should sound hollow (if you're unsure what I mean here, tap the loaf when you're turning it out for step 11, it will sound thick and solid), take out of oven and leave to cool.

If making bread rolls, make sure you both grease and flour your baking tray to make sure that they don't stick!

No comments:

Post a Comment